Data assessment and scorecard development:
- Evaluate the agricultural lending strategy of ABT and define scorecard usage based on ABT’s risk appetite and current loan processes;
- Assess quantity and quality of current agri-loan data;
- Determine variables to capture new data points from agriculture clients;
- Prepare data and build scorecards in an automated excel scorecard; and,
- Technical and functional testing, run statistical models.
Scorecard implementation, pilot test and roll-out:
- Review and adjust client pre-requirements, adapting the process to include the use of the scorecard;
- Prepare scorecard user guide;
- Develop pilot and monitoring plan as well as tools to measure the results;
- Train staff of the selected branch on the new agri-loan process including scorecard usage and the launch of the pilot test;
- Assess pilot results and determine requirements for future roll out; and,
- During the pilot phase 339 clients were assessed and out of them 322 were disbursed
Fine tuning of scorecard and documents and knowledge transfer:
- Review and enhance the training user guide; and,
- Final validation of manuals, processes and scorecard usage.
At the end of the Project, ABT automated the scorecard and rolled it out to all of its rural branches.