call download fax letter pdf search x chevron

Study in Germany: Why Frankfurt School?

Frankfurt School is a leading private business school based in Frankfurt am Main, with over 86 regional education centres spread across Germany and several joint ventures abroad – a business school with a difference.

All courses offered by the Frankfurt School have three aspects in common: high standards, diversity and practice-orientation. High standards, because we expect more of our students. Diversity, because all our courses reflect the rich panoply of perspectives that the field of financial studies has to offer. And practice-orientation, because at the Frankfurt School, research and teaching never take place in a vacuum, but must always be related to current applications. 

As the name already implies, Frankfurt School of Finance & Management is proud to be located in Frankfurt am Main. It is the most international city in Germany, the largest financial centre on the continent, the historical city of coronations, the city of Goethe and the Frankfurt School of Finance & Management.

There are also all kinds of students initiatives.

Degree-seeking Students

Please apply through the chosen programme’s website. Please find an overview of our programme portfolio.

After your acceptance into the programme, the International Office will support you with the necessary documents for your visa application.

Incoming Students

You are an exchange student if you are staying for one or two semesters at Frankfurt School of Finance & Management and then return to your home university to finish your studies. Thus, you will not obtain a degree from Frankfurt School.

For exchange Students only

Enrollment is your personal registration as a student. 

For enrollment you will need:

  • Proof of admission (letter of acceptance)
  • Receipt of payment of tuition fee (if applicable)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage, e.g. E 111 or EHIC (see link „insurance“)
  • Passport (with valid visa if applicable)
  • In the case that you were already enrolled at a German University at any time before coming to Frankfurt, we ask you to present your de-enrollment certificate!

The enrollment for degree seeking students is done by the study advisors of the respective study programmes.

Mehr Weniger

Enrollment for all exchange students will be processed at the International Office. After enrollment you receive a first set of study certificates that you will need for various formalities such as applying for a residence permit and many other things.

Courses in English

Enrolment for all exchange students will be processed at the International Office. After enrollment you will be able to download your study certificates from your personal student portal. You will need them for various formalities such as applying for a residence permit and many other things.

You will also receive a user ID and email address in order to access the PC-Pools at Frankfurt School and your personal intranet website which contains all relevant study information.


The majority of the exchange students attending Frankfurt School use an exchange programme through their home universities.

For more information on your application, please contact the International Office at your university. The link to our online application will be sent out after you have been nominated by your home university.

We are also happy to welcome Free Mover students at Frankfurt School. Please contact the International Office to learn more about our requirements, the tuition fee structure and the application procedures.

Before your arrival

If you have been admitted to Frankfurt School, please start preparing for your stay in Germany. The following information will help you with the preparation.

Please note that you will need to provide sufficient funds when applying for the visa. We recommend to open a blocked account (Sperrkonto) while still in your home country or get a so-called Verpflichtungserklärung from the responsible German embassy in your home country. A blocked account is a German bank account in which you have to deposite a specific amount of money and block this sum with the Federal Republic of Germany as beneficiary.

We recommend to open your Blocked Account through our partner Fintiba. Fintiba is officially approved by the German Federal Foreign Office. The whole account opening process is done online – you do not have to print or sign any forms. As the account opening is processed fully online, it will normally only take 2-4 working days to open the blocked account. You can find detailed instructions and FAQs here


Health Insurance

All students must have health insurance which will cover doctor´s visits, prescriptions, treatment, etc. The insurance premium is around 105,00 Euro per month. Your insurance company will give you an insurance certificate which you must present at enrollment. Without this certificate you will not be able to enroll.

Members of the EU and of the EFTA can become exempt from compulsory health insurance upon presentation of an E 111 form and/or an EHIC. These forms can be obtained from the health insurance authorities in your home country.

Most students from non-EU countries have a travel health insurance with short validity when they arrive in Germany. They must immediately apply to become a member of the compulsory health insurance fund or a private health insurance company. Students aged over 30 years cannot apply for the compulsory health insurance fund and must purchase private insurance.

Liability Insurance

We strongly recommend that you arrange liability insurance. Liability insurance is designed to offer specific protection against third party claims. Payment is then not typically made to the insured but rather to someone suffering loss who is not a party to the insurance contract. In general, damage caused intentionally and contractual liabilities are not covered under liability insurance policies. Our experience has shown that liability insurance has proven very useful whenever one of our students was involved in some kind of damage-causing accident (e.g. hitting a car with your bike). Usually, it is possible to arrange liability insurance in your home country. Be sure, however, that your liability insurance is also valid in foreign countries, especially in Germany.

Transport / Arrival

From the airport to Frankfurt School

Frankfurt has a good public transport network and it is very easy to reach Frankfurt School. From the airport, please go to the regional railway station (Regionalbahnhof) for S-Bahn, regional and local trains at Terminal 1, Level 1. Trains arrive at and depart from platforms 1 to 3.

  • Take the S-Bahn train (direction: “Frankfurt Innenstadt”) to Konstablerwache station
  • Then take the U5 metro (direction: “Preungesheim”) to Nibelungenallee / Deutsche Nationalbibliothek
  • Cross Adickesallee at the traffic lights immediately opposite the Total service station and turn left
  • The Frankfurt School campus is next to the service station
Getting Around

Frankfurt School offers a semester ticket (valid 6 months) for about 215 Euro per semester. This ticket will be printed on your student ID card and allows you to travel in a wide radius around Frankfurt and neighbour cities such as Wiesbaden, Darmstadt, Mainz etc.

as of May 2016

About your ticket


The entry requirements into the Federal Republic of Germany are different according to your country of origin. Please enquire as soon as possible as to whether you require a visa or not.

Countries from which a visa is not required

Members of the EU and of the EFTA (European Free Trade Association i.e. Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) do not need an entrance visa/student visa. However, after enrolling, you must register at the local registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt), just as every other student living in Frankfurt must do. EU and EFTA citizens will neither have to register at the foreign registration office nor will they need a so-called residence permit.

Citizens of the following countries also do not need an entrance visa/student visa, but will have to register at the aliens’ office (Ausländeramt) and apply for the residence permit after their enrollment in Germany.

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • South Korea
  • New Zealand
  • USA

Please note: When it comes to visa matters, it is your nationality and not the university you come from that determines what the appropriate procedure is. Example: If you study in a European country and have a residence permit for this country but your nationality is neither European nor are you from one of the seven countries listed above, you need to apply for a student visa in Germany. If this is the case please contact the German Embassy in your country of origin or the German Embassy in your country of studies.

Countries from which a visa is required

Students from other countries have to make arrangements for obtaining a visa while still in their home country. Make sure you enquire whether you need an entrance visa/student visa well in advance. In this case, entrance with only a tourist visa is not allowed. Future students from most countries will need an entrance visa.

Make sure you apply for the entrance/student visa as soon as possible at the responsible German diplomatic agency (embassy/consulate). An entrance/student visa is required for students from these countries in order to be able to enroll. An entrance visa will be converted into a residence permit for study purposes following enrollment. The conversion of a tourist visa into a residence permit for study purposes after entry into Germany is not possible.

Entry and residence